Pumpkin Oatmeal Cream Pie Cookies
Love oatmeal cream pies? These sweetly stuffed cookie sandwiches add pumpkin and pumpkin spice for a delightful twist on the popular classic!
When I was little I had two favorite Little Debbie Snack Cakes – the first were Star Crunches because you just can’t beat that texture of cookie, caramel, and crisp rice. Those things are absolute genius.
My second favorite were Oatmeal Cream Pies. But good luck getting one of those. Everybody loved those so much that they disappeared rather quickly. Perhaps that’s why I preferred the Star Crunches, 🙂 because they were more often available!
Today I’m sharing these flavorful and tasty pumpkin oatmeal cream pies. They are full of all of the oatmeal and cream goodness of the original, but add an extra bonus of a little pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice for a fun twist!
Our Favorite Tools for this Recipe:
The quickest way to whip up these lovely pumpkin and oatmeal cream pies from the dough to the filling is with a hand mixer. You’ll also need a baking sheet (we love our aluminum baking sheets from Nordic Ware), cooling rack, and piping bags. The piping bags linked above don’t require a decorating tip. Just fill the bag, snip the tip, and squeeze the bag to pipe.
Ingredients You Need to Make Pumpkin Oatmeal Cream Pies:
- Vegetable Shortening
- Vanilla Extract
- White Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Pumpkin Puree
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Quick-Cook Oats
- Powdered Sugar
How to Make Pumpkin & Oatmeal Cream Pies:
- Preheat oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl cream together butter, shortening, and vanilla extract with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add white sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, molasses, and eggs to the creamed butter and mix to fully combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet and beat with a hand mixer until a dough forms. Add oats to the dough mixture and stir until evenly distributed.
- Measure 30 tablespoon-sized drops of dough onto your prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to brown and the centers are still soft. After baking, immediately transfer cookies to a wire cookie cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling, in a clean bowl cream together butter, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice until light and fluffy. Alternate adding 1 cup of powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk until the cream filling reaches your desired consistency.
- Transfer to a piping bag and pipe cream onto the centers of 30 cookies. Place a second cookie on top to form these tasty pumpkin oatmeal cream pies!
Recipe Variations & Substitutions
Make These Pumpkin Oatmeal Cream Pies Gluten Free – Substitute gluten free cup-for-cup flour and oats to easily make this recipe gluten free.
Make them Vegan – Replace butter with vegetable shortening.
Add a Little Extra Flavor – Add chocolate chips, raisins, or other mix-ins to your cream filling. Be sure to account for their size when cutting the tip of your piping bag.
Your pumpkin oatmeal cream pie cookies should can be stored at room temperature in a sealed container for 3 days or refrigerated in a sealed container for 5-6.
Pumpkin Oatmeal Cream Pie Cookies
Cream Pie Filling Ingredients:
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375° and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, shortening and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Add white sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin, molasses, and egg to the creamed butter and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon until well combined.
- Add mixed dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the large bowl and beat until a dough forms, then stir in the oats.
- Measure out 30 tablespoon-sized spoonfuls and drop onto your prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to brown. Remove from heat while the centers are still soft. Transfer to a wire rack and allow the cookies to cool completely.
- In a clean bowl cream butter and vanilla with the pumpkin pie spice until light and fluffy. Alternate adding 1 cup of powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk until the cream filling reaches your desired consistency.
- Pipe cream onto the center of 15 cookies then top with the remaining 15.