If you love cotton candy you’re in for a real treat, a rice krispie treat! Easily made gluten free, these pink sweet treats are sure to please!
It’s kind of weird, but I’ll let you in on a little secret… because it totally leads up to why I’m sharing some cotton candy rice krispie treats today!
Sometimes when I get bored I open up my grocery app on my phone and go through every. single. gluten free item they sell. Like, all the gluten free things. And there are a lot of BORING things that are gluten free. Like bags of white rice and bags of lettuce and bottles of mustard. It takes FOREVER but it’s like a treasure hunt! I think that every single time I’ve found at least 1 exciting new gluten free thing for me to order. And when you’ve spent a decade without something like Rice Krispies, finding a substitute for them that is gluten free where they don’t add whatever super-food is currently in into it and mess it up by making it seem healthy. <— this is the whole reason I’ve got a recipe for Gluten Free Pop-Tarts on this blog, too!
If you’re gluten free you know EXACTLY what I mean.
For ages I couldn’t just get gluten free oatmeal. They added chia seeds and whatever to it. I just want freaking maple and brown sugar oatmeal like all the gluten eaters out there get to enjoy. Don’t add healthy junk to it, geez!
Just the other day I actually DID find a substitute for Rice Krispie treats that aren’t all crazy healthy. They’re not made with brown rice or sweetened with agave nectar or anything… it’s just a gluten free crispy rice cereal that is so much like it’s famous counterpart that after my first bite I had a goofy grin on my face. It’s Malt-o-Meal Crispy Rice Breakfast Cereal and it’s got me making Rice Krispie Treats at least once a week.
Want the recipe for my newest obsession? If you love cotton candy and if you love cereal treats this is so up your alley.
Cotton Candy Rice Krispie Treats
- 10 oz Bag of Mini Marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1.5 oz Pink Cotton Candy
- 6 cups Malt-o-Meal Crispy Rice Cereal
- Pink, White and Red Sprinkles (optional)
- Tear cotton candy into small pieces and set aside. Measure out rice cereal in a separate, large bowl. Grease a 9x13 glass dish with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- Melt butter in a large microwavable safe bowl. Add marshmallows and microwave in 30 second increments stirring each time until the marshmallows are completely melted.
- Add in cotton candy a few pieces at a time, stirring until fully melted.
- Pour melted marshmallow mixture over the cereal and stir until fully coated.
- Firmly press the cereal mixture into the prepared pan. Add sprinkles on top and push into the treats. Allow to sit 30 minutes or until they hold together well. Cut and serve.
- Spray your spoon with non-stick cooking spray to prevent the marshmallow mixture from sticking.
- If you do not have a kitchen scale, 1.5 ounces is roughly 3/4 of this 2 ounce tub of cotton candy. The candy melts down like liquid sugar and can thin out your marshmallow mixture so that it won't be sticky and set up so take care not to add too much.
- Do not add food coloring to the marshmallow mixture as it, too, will prevent the treats from firming up.
- If you would prefer a stronger cotton candy flavor you can add a vial of Lorann Cotton Candy Flavoring to the marshmallows rather than actual cotton candy.
Cotton Candy Rice Krispie Treats BOOM!