One of my FAVORITE treats is sweet and crunchy candy coated popcorn. A few weeks ago when I was visiting my parents I brought down catfish and candied popcorn. It was a total accident… I arrived at the restaurant too early to pick up the fish and I remembered a popcorn pharmacy type of place nearby and I decided to go in.
I grabbed some blue coconut and blackberry and it was great. Intending to take a little bit home for myself, I forgot.
But luckily I know how to make something very similar 🙂 This candy-coated popcorn is a snack to munch you’ll want to crunch all of the time. It’s so good. It’s so addictive. It’s so easy.
Hate sticky popcorn? No worries, this colorful and flavorful Jello popcorn is amazingly crisp meaning no sticky fingers! Make it in your favorite flavors and colors perfect for holidays, big games. And because it’s so easy, you can make it just because, too!
This recipe calls for a silicone baking sheet and I can’t recommend enough using one. You can also use parchment paper but it can be kind of a mess when collecting the popcorn when it’s done. See below:
Now I do hate asking anybody to buy special items for cooking but in this case, a silicone mat is AMAZING and you can use it when baking cookies or making anything in the oven that’s sticky. It’s also great for setting up your dipped chocolate pieces and homemade candies because they don’t stick to the mat once the candy has hardened.
Now I can practically hear half of you sighing on the other side of your computer screen because, alas, you have no candy thermometer or, maybe, you just plain hate using it 🙂 No sweat, guys, because this is a candy thermometer free candy recipe. Cool, right? Want to learn how to make this amazing Jello popcorn?
Crunchy and Colorful Jello Popcorn Recipe
CRUNCHY AND COLORFUL JELLO POPCORN RECIPE
- 2 tablespoons light Karo syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup Jello powder
- 4-5 cups freshly popped popcorn
- food coloring (optional)
- silicone baking mat
- Preheat your oven to 300°. Line a cookie sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Pop 1/4 cup of corn into a large bowl to yield in between 4-5 cups of popcorn.
- In a small saucepan melt butter in light Karo syrup over low heat. Once fully melted, stir well to incorporate.
- Add in brown sugar and Jello powder to the saucepan and stir well. If adding in food coloring do that now. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low so that the candy bubbles slightly. Set your timer for 5 minutes and walk away.
- Tossing your popcorn as you go, pour the melted candy over the corn in the large bowl. Stir to coat well.
- Transfer to your lined baking sheet and bake 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Break into pieces to serve.
I made my batch as a sort of Valentine’s Day treat. Can you tell by that sweet heart covered popcorn tub? (Scored it in the Valentine’s Day aisle at Walmart for $0.97 by the by.) In all honesty, I meant to toss in some conversation hearts onto my candied corn while still sticky but I got into the ZONE and forgot 🙂
No matter. I’ve still got a big ol’ stash of watermelon, black cherry and mango flavored Jello popcorn to enjoy. Now tell me, what flavors are you going to whip up? I’d love to hear your ideas!
UPDATED 6/7/2020 to include nutrition information